Jenny Bisset provides acupuncture treatment and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) in the surrounding California Bay Area cities of San Carlos, San Mateo, Redwood City, Belmont, Menlo Park and Palo Alto.
Jenny Bisset, DAOM, L.Ac., Dipl. Ac. (NCCAOM), MSTCM, is an acupuncturist and herbalist, specializing in the treatment of eye diseases, pain, stress relief and women’s health.
She graduated from the University of East West Medicine with a Masters of Traditional Chinese Medicine, followed by study at the Beijing University of Chinese Medicine.
Jenny is licensed by the state of California and board certified in acupuncture by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.
How Jenny found Acupuncture
Jenny is a native Alaskan who grew up in California in a family of educators and adventurers.
During high school, Jenny’s family took a position with the Peace Corps in Kabul, Afghanistan. It was this extraordinary experience that began to form Jenny’s interest in service as she witnessed a country plagued by poverty with limited or no access to adequate nutrition or medical care. During her three years in the country, she cultivated deep compassion and a genuine desire to help.
In college, not yet sure of her direction, Jenny studied Art and French and spent one year in Switzerland as a nanny for a family with 5 children.
After college Jenny visited her family during a second Peace Corps tour in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, which coincided with the surge of Boat People leaving Vietnam, and landing by the tens of thousands on the shores of Malaysia. Jenny took a job assisting with the resettlement of the refugees. During this time the “Medicins Sans Frontiers” (Doctors Without Borders) anchored a hospital ship offshore one of the islands where she was working. During the days Jenny did her refugee work, interviewing and reuniting families and hearing the devastating tales of their families’ harrowing and often fatal journeys; during the nights she helped on the hospital ship as an untrained aid to doctors treating everything from a cholera outbreak to childbirths. The gratification of helping people was profound and set Jenny’s future course to pursue service in the form of medicine.
Later, after suffering 10 years of back pain, Jenny was cured by using acupuncture. She then realized what form her service would take, and eventually led her to pursue her Masters of Traditional Chinese Medicine. She was fortunate to intern during her doctorate with Holly Guzman, a renowned acupuncturist in Santa Cruz, CA, who by sheer coincidence, was a high-school friend from Afghanistan. Having Holly as a friend, colleague and mentor strengthened her skills and love of the medicine.
Jenny’s mission and purpose is to connect with each patient’s story and desire for life fulfillment, so they can live the full, active and joyful lives they desire. She believes in the innate healing power of the body, and strives to assist in that process.
Jenny loves to spend her down time with her cats and a cup of tea, reading endlessly on her favorite subject: Chinese medicine! She also loves hiking in the nearby open space with her husband, kids and friends, or puttering around her sunny garden. She continues her love of travel which challenges and revives her spirit. She has four beautiful grown children and one grand baby, which is a whole new journey!
Training & Experience
Following her 4-year Masters program, Jenny traveled to China for a post-graduate internship through the Beijing School of Chinese Medicine. At Wangjing Hospital, she focused her time in the Galvano Acupuncture and Rheumatic Disease clinics. After work, she was extremely fortunate to study with the legendary late Dr. Wang Ju-yi at his private clinic in Beijing. Jenny enthusiastically continues her studies with many masters in the field (see below), expanding and refining her knowledge and skills of acupuncture and herbal medicine. Check out the “China” page on this site for photos and more information.
Jenny is trained in, and practices a broad range of advanced techniques including cupping, guasha, tuina, moxibustion. as well as many styles of acupuncture including Andy Rosenfarb’s MA48, Richard Tan’s Balance Method, Master Tung, Kiiko Matsumoto’s Japanese style, Muscle Channel Technique, EXSTORE electro-acupuncture, and the NADA protocol to name a few.
Jenny is one of only a handful of certified practitioners in MicroAcupuncture 48, a specialized treatment for eye diseases such as Age Related Macular Degeneration (ARMD).
In addition to her private practice, Jenny is a volunteer at the Charlotte Maxwell Complementary Center, serving low-income women for the side effects of their cancer therapies. She is trained by Acupuncture Without Borders to serve first responders and victims in the wake of natural disasters, using community style auricular acupuncture (NADA) to treat stress and trauma.
Advanced Training with the Masters
- Nefeli Facial Rejuvenation & Advanced Body Resculpting – Ping Zhang DOM, LAc
- The Examination & Treatment of Neck Disorders – Jaime Chavez LAc
- Kiiko Acupuncture Basics – Kiiko Matsumoto OMD, LAc
- Classic Channel Theory & Palpation – Dr. Wang Ju-yi Center for Clinic Theory Research
- Shen-Hammer Pulse Fundamentals – Will Morris PhD, DAOM, LAc
- Shen-Hammer Pulse System & Applications – Will Morris PhD, DAOM, LAc
- Shen-Hammer Clinical Applications – Will Morris PhD, DAOM, LAc
- Fuku Shin, Abdominal Diagnosis in the Classical School of Kampo – Nigel Dawes LAc
- Xing Nao Kai Qiao Needling Technique for Apoplexy – Shi Xuemin MD
- TCM Pain Management – Andrew Fitzcharles LAc
- TCM Pain Management – George Stretch MD, LAc
- Field Acupuncture for Traumatic Events – Acupuncturists Without Borders
- Acupuncture 123 – The Balance Method – Richard Tan OMD, LAc
- Global Balance for Functional Disorders – Richard Tan OMD, LAc
- Treating Zang Fu Disorders w/ Meridian Conversion Therapy – Richard Tan OMD, LAc
- Balancing the Five Elements – Richard Tan OMD, LAc
- Palpation Based Acupuncture for Gynecology & Infertility – David Euler LAc
- Treatment of Lower Body Pain with Acupuncture & Chinese Herbs – Bob Doane LAc
- Volunteer Training – Charlotte Maxwell Complementary Clinic
- Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture – Virginia Doran LAc
- Tung’s Acupuncture Points on Pain Management – Wei-chieh Young MD
- Low Back Pain and Shoulder Pain – Kiiko Matsumoto OMD, LAc
- Mei Zen Face, Neck and Abdominal Acupuncture – Martha Lucas PhD, LAc
- Integrative Cancer Care – Nalini Chilkov OMD, LAc
- Master Tung’s Point and Collections Formulas – Brad Whisnat DAOM, LAc
- Integrative Chinese Medicine – Cancer Support & Treatment – Misha Cohen OMD, LAc
- Clinical Applications of Shang Han Lun & Jin Gui Yao Lue – Kevin Zhu MD, DAOM, LAc
- Herb-Drug Interactions – Anita Chen Marshall, Pharm.D., LAc
- Scientific Foundation of Acupuncture – Peng Li MD, Zhiling Guo MD, Liangwu Fu MD
- Pulse Diagnosis – Martha Lucas PhD, LAc
- EENT – Dr. Wu
- Clinical Applications of Yi Jing – Samson Cheung PhD
- TCM Dietetics – Xinggui Tan MD
- Gastroenterology – Yi E. Ding MD & John Jackson MD
- TCM Cupping Therapy – Zelin Chen, CMD
- Dermatology & External Diseases – John Naiqiang Gu, LAc & Alan Wong, MD
- Orthopedics & Tramatology – Robert Chu, PhD, LAc, QME
- Allergy and Immunology – Robert Chu, PhD, LAc, QME & Alan Wong, MD
- Cardiovascular Diseases – Daniel Jiao, DAOM, LAc & Alan Wong, MD
- Classical Formulas, Herbs, & TCM Patterns – Huang Huang MD, CMD
- Neurology – T.J. Tao MD
- Clinical Applications of Neijing/Nanjing – Rui Li MD
- Pediatrics – Garry Crummer MD, Daniel Jiao LAc
- Sports Medicine & Muscle Channel Technique- Frank He, LAc, QME
- Five Element Acupuncture – Gary Dolowich MD, LAc
- Psychiatry & Psychotherapy – Joseph Yang, PhD, LAc, Dr. Wang
- Herb Alternatives to Drugs – Anita Chen Marshall, DAOM, Pharm.D., L.Ac.
- Abdominal Acupuncture – Paul Ryan LAc
- Tung’s Acupuncture – Robert Chu, LAc
- Neuromuscular Pain – Dawn Mytoka MD, Holly Guzman OMD LAc
- Women’s Health and Endocrinology – Huimin Wang, Holly Guzman OMD, LAc
- Metabolic Diseases – Candon Li
- PTSD/Traumatic Brain Injury – Robyn Grieve DAOM, LAc
- Women’s Health – Holly Guzman OMD, LAc
- Pulse Diagnosis Mentorship – Martha Lucas PhD, LAc
- Acute & Chronic Low Back Pain Assessment & Treatment – Anthony Lombardi, DC
- TCM Ophthalmology – Andy Rosenfarb, ND, LAc
- MA 48 Certification – Andy Rosenfarb, ND, LAc
- Advanced MA 48 – Andy Rosenfarb, ND, LAc
- MA 48 Protocols – Andy Rosenfarb, ND, LAc
- EXSTORE Motor Points Electro-Acupuncture – Anthony Lombardi, DC
- Assessment and Treatment of Plantar Fasciitis – Anthony Lombardi, DC